Urban Forestry Manager
Job Title: Urban Forestry Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: 1641 Portland Avenue, Louisville, KY 40203
Hours: 40 hours per week, full-time, non-exempt employee. Weekend and extended hours required.
Pay: $44,000 annual salary
Benefits: 10 paid holidays, 80 hours PTO, comp time, medical insurance offered, cell phone and mileage allowance, and professional development opportunities.
Louisville Grows is an environmental, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization whose mission is to Grow Greener, Healthier Neighborhoods. Our vision is to foster green, just and sustainable communities in Louisville. We seek to be a leading nonprofit in advocating for health equity through the environmental platforms of urban forestry and urban agriculture.
Louisville Grows is seeking an arboriculture expert, community leader, and effective project manager. The Urban Forestry Manager must have expertise in arboriculture methods and equipment used in the planting, care and maintenance of trees. They will be responsible for leading, scheduling, and supervising tree plantings on residential and other properties. This includes canvassing neighborhoods and securing residential plantings (Treecipients), recruiting and training Citizen Foresters and general volunteers, nurturing community partners, and strengthening individual relationships of those participating in the urban forestry program. The role also requires maintenance of vehicles, tools, and other materials used for planting trees. The successful candidate will be a capable self-starter, willing and excited to work with the community to restore the urban tree canopy.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● In coordination with a variety of funding sources, implement tree planting events
that coincide with the organization’s ability to: 1) responsibly collaborate with
community partners, 2) maximize volunteer involvement, 3) honor neighborhood
residents and 4) meet the needs of strengthening Louisville’s tree canopy.
Growing greener, healthier neighborhoods.
● Track and provide on-going timely and effective communication and response to
neighborhood “Treecipients” of their questions and needs regarding their tree
● Activate trained volunteer Citizen Foresters to maximize capacity of the urban
forestry program. Engage, recruit, train, retain, and provide on-going support for
Citizen Foresters including organizing meet-ups and communicating on a regular
● Provide the Louisville Grows’ Board of Directors and broader community on-going
program metrics to inform programs’ success and challenges in meeting funding
goals, tree survival and neighborhood expectations.
● Work with and support the organization’s Tree Committee that will: 1) provide a
sounding board for community needs, 2) strengthen program policies and
procedures and 3) systematically address both internal and external opportunities
to improve urban tree success.
● Take intentional actions to deepen the impact of the program while simultaneously
increasing the capacity through infrastructure improvements. This includes
stronger community involvement, more frequent and meaningful volunteer
engagement and maximizing growing resources.
This position is full time at 40 hours per week. Working on the weekends and overtime during our busiest seasons in the spring and fall are required, but accrued hours over 40 per week will be compensated through comp time. The Urban Forestry Manager will report to the executive director and work closely with the Community Engagement Coordinator and Tree Committee. This is an ideal position for someone who is motivated to create environmental equity in disadvantaged neighborhoods, someone who loves the outdoors and has a passion for trees, a self-starter with the ability to see your work through with a high degree of independence, has at least three years experience in forestry or arboriculture, and is looking for an exciting new
opportunity to grow a successful, impactful program.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
● 3 years experience in forestry, arboriculture and/or a Certified Arborist* or equivalent
● Ability to drive a truck with a flatbed or box trailer and operate a tractor. A valid driver’s
license is required. Use of personal vehicle (reimbursed) required.
● Ability to perform physical labor including moving 100+lbs. using a tree dolly in all
weather conditions, and maintain a safe workplace in accordance with organizational
● Effective communicator of both technical and conceptual information of urban forestry.
● Maintain tree inventory, tool storage, work vehicles and Louisville Grows campus.
● Project management to oversee multiple projects, track metrics and analyze data,
maintain a budget for the urban forestry program, and contribute to written and verbal
program reports for the Board of Directors, external audiences and grantmakers.
● Excellent leadership, including the ability to independently problem-solve and
work independently as needed.
To grow a just and sustainable community through urban agriculture, urban forestry, and
● Experience working with diverse communities of people.
● Database management experience.
● Proficient with Google Workspace.
*Louisville Grows is willing to invest in the costs and training for the Urban Forestry
Manager to become a Certified Arborist in the future.
IDEAL QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS
● Experience with leading and organizing volunteers, and/or knowledge of effective
community organizing practices.
● Knowledge of the current tree canopy statistics in our community, the Urban Heat Island
Effect and Environmental Justice Mapping tools.
● Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
● Comfort with speaking and presenting in public on urban forestry and other relevant
● Ability to build positive relationships with individuals and work well with diverse and/or
marginalized populations, including the ability to invite and incorporate feedback.
● Mature and professional demeanor with a strong work ethic.
Note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of
activities, duties, or responsibilities required. Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description shall be reviewed on a bi-annual basis.
Louisville Grows is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage applicants from all backgrounds. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, their resume, and three references to email@example.com. Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered. Now accepting applications. Applications will begin being reviewed immediately upon receipt. The position will be open until filled.