Forestry Specialist (Full-Time)
Rate: Grade: C ($15.0928/$31,393.02 minimum) Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Method for Applying: Apply online at lakemetroparks.com. Click on the corresponding link to complete and submit an online application.
Closing Date: Open until Filled.
Brief Description: Under the supervision of the Forestry Supervisor, the Forestry Specialist performs tree removal functions, land management activities, tree care, tree planting and general vegetation management. Other duties but not limited to; include landscaping, trail construction, trail maintenance, general construction or repairs and assuring the public’s safety and maintaining the overall condition of the parks, grounds, and natural areas.
- Ability to perform tree climbing using proper rigging, proper knots, felling and pruning operations with safety a priority for crews and visitors.
- Proficient to operate types of forestry & land management equipment, including chainsaws, chippers, skid loaders, landscaping equipment and knowledge of applicable safety standards.
- General knowledge of arboriculture, flora, fauna and basic horticulture, including proper pruning practices, typically acquired through ISA Arborist Certificate.
- General knowledge of natural resources and wildlife, typically acquired through an Associate Degree in a related field.
- CDL license preferred or the ability to obtain within 6 months. Ability to acquire an herbicide applicators license.
- Must have the ability to perform various types of manual labor and the ability to lift up to 75 lbs. in all types of weather conditions.
- Interpersonal skills: ability to work effectively with other staff and communicate.
- Knowledge of all related safety regulations and compliance in all on-going safety training requirements.
- Ability to organize and enter data, maintain records, inventories and follow inspection processes.
- Reading, writing, math and computer skills.
- Must have valid drivers’ license with good record and be insurable by Lake Metroparks auto insurance.